Wednesday, July 12, 2017

My NZ Journey

Photo c/o youtube.com
I arrived in Aotearoa New Zealand nine years ago today.  The purpose of my visit was to take-up a six months teaching fellowship at the Screen & Media Studies Department of the University of Waikato, while I was developing and writing my PhD proposal.  My thesis adviser wanted me to be here so that we could closely and fully develop the topic on digital storytelling.  It was a wonderful opportunity to immerse myself in a new culture while at the same time honing and perfecting my craft as a media studies teacher.  I was assigned to tutor on two papers: production (specifically lighting) and video production (for the graduating students).  I left a 22-year teaching career in the Philippines (went up to Assistant Professor level) to pursue my dream of getting a PhD degree in a foreign setting.  I was driven by the sense of adventure of studying in another country and the challenge posited by a colleague who finished her PhD in an Australian university.  I have no regrets on making this move and if I was given the chance to relive my life, I'll make the same decision to come to Aotearoa New Zealand, to study for my PhD.

No comments: