Sunday, November 24, 2019

National Sardines Day

Photo c/o nationaldaycalendar.com
It's National Sardines Day today.  I've always loved eating fresh fish caught from the bountiful sea off Zamboanga Peninsula, Mindanao, Philippines.  I was growing up at a time when the sea harvest was bountiful and fresh.  I don't know how it is at present because I've been away from my homeland for 11 years now.  What I hear and read is that it is not as bountiful as in the years of my youth.  Perhaps population growth has contributed to the rapid decline of the fresh fish harvest.  The sardines coming from the Philippines are usually harvested in the seas around Zamboanga, then canned and exported to many parts of the world, including Aotearoa New Zealand my new home.  So as we celebrate today's day, let's all remember how the sardines we had for breakfast, lunch or dinner, traveled thousands of miles to come to our shores.

No comments: